Twilight Zone #9 - mis-attributed Alex Toth art

Twilight Zone #9

Twilight Zone v1 #9, 1964 - No Alex Toth art, despite what some comic book price guides say. There are resemblances, but closer inspection reveals another artist's hand (perhaps Fred Fredericks?). This was not uncommon given that Toth's style was copied throughout the 50s and 60s. The artist's work does appear in Twlight Zone #3 and #4. Other artists in this silver age horror comic include Joe Certa and Jack Sparling. Cover by George Wilson. 

- - - - - - - - - -
Home / Toth / Twilight Zone / Gold Key
ebay  >Toth
Twilight Zone #9 - mis-attributed Alex Toth art Twilight Zone #9 - mis-attributed Alex Toth art Reviewed by Ted F on 2:06 PM Rating: 5

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, it is not even close to being Toth. My vote is that the artwork would have to be Jim Aparo's.

Anonymous said...

Nah, on second thought it looks more like Frank Springer's work.

Anonymous said...

I'm not 100% certain but I agree with lively that it bears a marked resemblance to Frank Springer.

Nick Caputo

Booksteve said...

Something about the face in the final panel makes me agree that it's Thorne but it COULD be Frank Bolle. I don't see a trace of Aparo and I'm fairly sure neither he nor Springer were working for Gold Key during that period.

Anonymous said...

Booksteve,

I agree with you that this is too early to be Aparo, who began at Charlton in 1966 or 1967. As far as Bolle, I'm not that familiar with his artwork in this period so I'd have to reserve judgement.

Nick Caputo

Powered by Blogger.