My Own Romance #56 - non-attributed Matt Baker art

My Own Romance #56
My Own Romance v1 #56, 1957 - Not an uncommon scenario, a woman falls unexpectedly in love with her roommate's boyfriend. Though only four pages, Matt Baker's artwork is gorgeously rendered. Delicates lines and brushwork enhance every page. In particular, the scene where a goodnight kiss witnessed is especially empathetic (see interior page below). Uncredited in this issue, Baker's later romance tales are often superb. Other artists in this golden age comic include Jay Scott Pike. Cover by Vince Colletta. This is 2 of 14 My Own Romance issues by Baker
- - - - - - - - - -
"Another Girl's Man" Baker story pencils and inks 4 pages = ****

Matt Baker
- - - - - - - - - -
Home / Baker / My Own Romance / Atlas
ebay  >this issue >Baker
My Own Romance #56 - non-attributed Matt Baker art My Own Romance #56 - non-attributed Matt Baker art Reviewed by Ted F on 11:35 AM Rating: 5

1 comment:

ham and ernie said...

Not sure if you can call Baker "the best of the romance artists" especially looking at this example you posted. While the art is stunning, it's better suited to a ghost story or other dark genre.

My vote goes to Vince Colletta as the king of the romance artists simply because his drawings of people looked real, his art was perfect for conveying the stories and his women were, quite simply, hotter than anyone else's!

Powered by Blogger.