Sunday, July 17, 2016

Police Action v2 #1 - Mike Ploog art


Police Action v2 #1 featuring Lomax NYPD and Luke Malone, Manhunter, 1975 - Atlas/Seaboard Comics introduced a slew of short-lived titles in the 1970s, including this detective genre series. The Luke Malone back-up story has a gritty urban setting that seems perfectly suited for Mike Ploog's unique style. His opening scene of a dead panhandler evokes more sadness than shock. Frank Springer's inks have a similar feel that works more compatibly than expected. Other artists in this issue include Al McWilliams, Mike Sekowsky and Larry Lieber (cover). This is number 1 of 3 Police Action issues with Ploog art and/or covers. See more Ploog or Police Action issues. See also this blog's Ploog checklist or Top 10 Ploog comics.
- - - - - - - - - -
"Requiem for a Champ" Ploog story pencils (Frank Springer inks) 10 pages = ***
- - - - - - - - - -
Mike Ploog
Find on ebay: >this issue >Ploog >Police Action

More Ploog posts:
Marvel Premiere #6
Planet of the Apes #11
Man-Thing #9

2 comments:

  1. I have heard about Police Action v2 #1 a lot. I am not a huge fan of comics, but I know people who do. They have this comic, and they say it is really good. I would recommend them to visit Ploog and Police sites. I am sure they are familiar with them, but I will tell them anyway. From the picture it seems good comic. I wonder how comic can be tragic. It is like watching cartoon and says that it is sad. Well, I don’t have the right to judge it since I don’t read comics, but, I am sure that this is good. Thank you and goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavy Eisner influence; looks like it could be a page from The Spirit. Ploog's style evolved as he got more horror assignments.

    ReplyDelete