Friday, August 21, 2009

Why this blog?

I started reading comics as a kid back in the 1970s and started collecting not long after. While I enjoyed the stories, I was drawn mostly toward the artwork. I could identify artists of certain covers and stories via the credits or the occasional signature. As a formed a small group of favorites (now listed on this blog), it became difficult finding out other issues (especially past issues) by these artists. The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide provided the first fairly comprehensive list of artist works, though it's not without its mis-attributions (credit given to the wrong artist) or non-attributions (artist work not credited) even today. Nor did it specify all the story page-lengths, collaborators or relative quality of the work. Despite these frustrations, 30 years of collecting have allowed me to see the vast majority of works by the selected& artists. I wanted to share my opinions and ratings to help inform other like-minded fans. Pencil Ink is intended to be an ongoing, continually expanding resource with the goal of including every comic by each of my favorite artists. To my fellow collectors: good hunting!

-Teddy @ Pencil Ink

2 comments to date:

Gianni_G said...

Ted

Enjoy your blog very much, thought you might enjoy the latest feature on Tony Robertson's STERANKO Fan-site (I'm the designer) feature is titled: COMPS TO FINISHED... enjoy and please feel free to share.

http://www.thedrawingsofsteranko.com/

Massimo Squillace said...

I've been enjoying your blog since its inception, and while we definitely share a similar list of favorite artists, I wonder why yours doesn't include John Buscema. Being a huge fan, I'd love to read your insights about his late Silver Age / Early Bronze Age work :-)